Osteoporosis Treatments in Wheaton, IL
Called “the silent killer” for good reason, osteoporosis is one of the most underdiagnosed diseases in medicine, though a simple bone scan (DEXA) will tell you whether you have it, or osteopenia, a bone weakening that can lead to osteoporosis if left untreated.
The facts are these:
- About one-third of women over age 65 have undiagnosed osteopenia, and about 7% of them have osteoporosis.
- One-third of women with osteoporosis will die from a fracture or a complication from that fracture.
- Men over 50 are more likely to break a bone due to osteoporosis than they are to get prostate cancer.
- 90% of people with osteoporosis will break a bone within 10 years.
- 25% of both men and women under the age of 50 have osteopenia.
Osteoporosis is caused in part by hormone imbalance — we all need the right amount of specific hormones to build and strengthen bones. Another contributing factor is an unhealthy gut, one that lacks the acid necessary to break down and absorb bone-building minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
Conventional doctors will give you pills to treat your osteoporosis — which can lead to a host of side effects. At Forum Health Wheaton, we’re all about personalized prevention and treatment that strengthens your bones from the inside out, for a long, strong, life.
Need more information about Osteoporosis Treatments? Call us today to get a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced health advisors or schedule an appointment with Dr. Montalvo at our conveniently located Wheaton, IL office.